How To Target Train Pet Rats
I didn’t know about target training until I was doing some research on how to train a puppy. Then I saw a video of someone’s rabbit doing the same thing. And naturally, I saw a video of someone doing this with their rat.
Things You Will Need
- a stick (or you can also use your fingers)
READ ALSO: Socializing New Rats
The goal of target training
- Your rat needs to touch the target (finger, stick, etc.) when you hold it out.
- This should eventually lead to them following the target.
ALSO SEE: Good Behaviour in Rats
Target Training Process
- To start, establish your target.
- Hold your target out so that they can see it but it’s not right in front of them. When their nose touches the target, you should give them a treat.
- When your rats are used to touching the target, try having them follow the target. Start out with small distances (like an inch or two and then moving further).